Counseling and Guidance
\\WHAT DO MIDDLE SCHOOL COUNSELORS DO?
Middle school is an exciting yet challenging time for students, their parents and teachers. Middle school counselors are educators uniquely trained in child and adolescent development, learning strategies, self management and social skills. (ASCA)
At Heritage, our school counselors work collaboratively to remove barriers to students’ learning and growth through teaching skills and empowering students to achieve their full potential.
We believe all students are capable of doing great things and making this world a better place
HOW DO SCHOOL COUNSELORS HELP?
Identify students’ academic and social/emotional needs
By establishing relationships with students through getting to know their interests, hobbies, and strengths, school counselors are able to identify students’ needs and set up supports for growth and assist in removing barriers to learning.
Provide any necessary interventions
- Individual counseling sessions
- Small groups
- Big brothers, big sisters, self-esteem
- Classroom guidance lessons:
- Bullying, social media usage, sexual health
- Sharing Hope: There is No Health Without Mental Health
- Career Assessment: O*Net
- Coping Skills
- Teen Depression
- Dakota County Community Services Programs
- Eating Disorders
- Fraser Mental Health & Special Needs
- 5 Things to Know about Stress
- Cómo ayudar a su adolescente deprimido
- COVID-19 Recursos para Comunidades Indocumentadas
- Consejos para padres con hijos que padecen de ansiedad
- ipad tips for parents